I’m going to try REALLY hard to be clear, coherent, and
objective not fan-girl wildly.
Gush Note: I was planning on waiting until June for this book, but after meeting K.T. at #YAFest2017 and finding out what she based this story on, I was excited to see it on NetGalley and HAD TO READ IT RIGHT AWAY.
Kara Thomas, Little Monsters
Random House, 2017
The novel opens with Kacey sneaking out with her two best friends, and little sister, to have a seance in an abandoned (and rumored haunted) barn. The Red Lady — a local legend — isn’t summoned that night, but it does serve as the impetus for events to come later in the novel.
After Kacey’s BFF, Bailey, disappears after a party, Kacey becomes one of the prime suspects of the case. As the story unfolds, Kacey finds out secrets about her best friends and her step-family. She tries to figure out what really happened to Bailey, and who her real friends are.
Based, in part, on the Skylar Neese murder, this novel is a gripping, edge-of-your-seat-True-Crime-for-YAs.
Commencing fangirling in 3…2…1…
I love, love, loved THE DARKEST CORNERS. So when I heard that Thomas was releasing another novel, with the same premise (fictionalized True Crime for YAs), I couldn’t wait. And then, I found out she was semi-local and invited her to YA Fest. I met her, and literally gushed all over her. She’s a fellow #murderino.
Okay, I’m done. Now, onto the story…
I loved it. Honestly, there’s not much else I can say. To make it clear and cohesive, I’m just going to bullet point for you what was awesome about it:
- It was extremely well-written.
- There are a lot of twists throughout the story that keeps the reader guessing.
- The ending has a HOLY SH!T moment that made me gasp out loud.
- It includes some of my personal favorite things: local ghost stories and crime/mystery.
- Kacey is an unreliable narrator, which makes the story even harder to figure out.
- Jade is an absolute bitch, but plays the part well.
- Kacey’s backstory makes it hard to believe she’s completely innocent.
- The plot all wrapped up REALLY nicely for the reader.
This was one of those books that I will continue to buy (in every edition), and hand out to my friends and go YOU HAVE TO READ THIS, all while still making heart-eyes in Kara Thomas’s direction.
Seriously. If you like murder-mysteries, true crime adaptations, or conniving BFFs, this book is for you.
Rating… 12/10 stars!
Now, when’s the next one coming out…?